Thursday, November 21, 2019

Comics as Contemporary Literature

This week I read Alice in Sunderland by Bryan Talbot.

Bryan Talbot self-inserted himself in this story as a guide through history, modifying his drawing style based on whatever he chooses to talk about.  This creates a very interesting comic to look at overall, with a lot of color and different line quality.  It's really satisfying to read and does a great job of combining story telling with history and myth.   I also like how it's told in an Alice in Wonderland type of style, as its very dreamlike.  Some of this comic is a bit lost on me but it is interesting nonetheless.

I think this comic has my favorite style of artwork out of any of the other comics I have read in class.  The realistic character designs and shading in the drawing portions (It kind of gives a sense of harsh lighting?) really adds to the tone of the piece.  There is also a really strange mixture of what looks like colored, realistic photos which I feel adds to the style.  It reminds me of a type of scrapbook.  I also feel this helps to the dream-like Alice and Wonderland inspiration is taking from, and helps bring you into the world seamlessly.  The character designs also achieve this, like for example the rabbit man in the beginning reminds me of Alice in Wonderland (but darker?)

No comments:

Post a Comment